Monday 13 September 2010

I'll Chin Chin to that!

Here is a bit of a taster of one of my cool findings in Camden so far:
 
The Chin Chin Laboratorists -  'Europe's first nitro ice cream parlour.' 

The concept is innovative - nothing short of branding brilliance - but WHAT exactly is so special about nitrogen ice cream? As a staunch supporter of Ben & Jerry - the Batman & Robin of my world, for they have 'saved my day' more times than once - I confess I enter the lab somewhat sceptical of this 'haute cuisine' variety...




The brainchild of Ahrash Akbari-Kalhur and his wife Nyisha Weber is becoming something of a hot spot in town - the notice on their website indicating just how HOT - also, with advised 'waiting times of up to 25 minutes!'



Whilst Ahrash works on my Valrhona 66% Chocolate nitrogen frozen ice cream I take the opportunity to pose this very question to him. He explains that nitrogen freezing prevents a build up of ice crystals, thus ensuring nothing but the finest quality of ice cream is cultivated.


Indeed he is correct, for upon consumption I find the texture supremely smooth and effortlessly light. And if that isn't just rewards enough, I am further informed that there is also both 50% less fat and 50% less sugar in their variety compared with leading store brands - all the better for excusing my many subsequent re-visits!

It would seem therefore, that I have quickly become something of an unexpected admirer of the duo that is Ahrash and Nyisha. They are happy to have a chat, allow pictures to be taken and passionately talk you through their future plans for where they envisage taking Chin Chin Labs to next, all whilst catering to your frozen fancies.

Ben & Jerry - I believe it may be time for us to go our separate ways...





No comments: